If you have been with me these past 9 days, we have covered a lot! But I want to change it up a bit for these next few blogs. I want to get a little transparent with you and give you a little “insider info”. Because if you are anything like me, you have a serious pastor’s wife stereotype in your head. Most likely those stereotypes are pretty unrealistic, and that is just not me!
So here are my Top 5 “Insightful” Thoughts to Being a Pastor’s Wife… My style…
- I don’t sing. On second thought, I do sing, but definitely not well or on pitch. But I don’t sing in a choir, on stage, or in duet with my husband in church. I sing in the car with one other person present who happens to be less than 6 months old and so she will smile at anything, including my off pitch notes! Not even Rodney has ever heard me sing.
- I have a bad habit of watching The Real Housewives of…wherever. It can be a pretty ridiculous show, but I still love it. The New Jersey cast is still my favorite but the Beverly Hills ladies were so out there and lived such an unreal life that I had to watch that too.
- I am not the church secretary, children’s director, women’s ministry leader or the pastor’s assistant. And I’m really fine with not being any of those things! I love my church, and I love serving, but my husband, as well as the church, puts absolutely no pressure on me to be any of those things. That is why I volunteer each week as a teacher in the pre-school class and I do it because I love it. But most importantly, I try to support, love and encourage my hubby the best I can so that he is the best pastor he can be! The pastor’s wife is not a package deal. I didn’t marry the church, I married my husband so booyah!
- I am not a professional counselor. I have really great conversations with people I don’t know until it turns to the subject of “so what does your husband do?” Once that is out there, that is always a game changer. Don’t get me wrong or twist this. I love to listen to people, but I’m not a priest and yet it still turns into “confession time“!
- It wasn’t my life-long dream to be a pastor’s wife, and that is an understatement! It surprised me to find myself dating a pastor as much as it surprised a lot of other people. And to top it off, then I married one! Rodney and I always joke that if he had met me in college, we would have been about as good of a match as Lady Gaga and the Pope. And I’m not saying that I am Lady Gaga and he is the Pope, but we are pretty different people. But I cannot imagine my life without him now!